Council hearing on DU Wednesday, May 7th 8:30AM
Malu `Aina Center For Non-violent Education & Action
P.O. Box AB
`Ola`a (Kurtistown), Hawaii 96760
Re: Comm. 1210
Intr. by: Ms. Naeole
A RESOLUTION URGING THE UNITED STATES MILITARY TO ADDRESS THE HAZARDS OF DEPLETED URANIUM AT THE PŌHAKULOA TRAINING AREA.
WHEREAS, in the early 1960's the United States Military used the Pōhakuloa Training Area for firing a formerly classified weapon, the Davy Crockett recoilless gun, which has created the presence of depleted uranium (DU) in the impact area at the U.S. Army Garrison, Pōhakuloa; and
WHEREAS, the World Health Organization has released several reports and scientific studies concerning the health risks from exposure to depleted uranium; and
WHEREAS, depleted uranium is a chemically toxic and radioactive heavy metal with a half-life of 4.6 billion years; and
WHEREAS, depleted uranium emits radioactive alpha particles that can cause cancer when inhaled or ingested and also cause kidney and lung damage; and
WHEREAS, there is a public health need to ensure the safe storage, disposal, and clean-up of munitions and other products or materials containing depleted uranium at the Pōhakuloa Training Area to protect all residents of Hawai'i
WHEREAS, the United States Military is hereby requested, with urgency, to address the potential hazards of depleted uranium at the Pōhakuloa Training Area with the following five-point plan:
1. Ordering a complete halt to B-2 bombing missions and to all live firing exercises and other activities at the Pōhakuloa Training Area that create dust until there is an assessment and clean up of the depleted uranium already present;
2. Establishing a permanent, high-tech monitoring system with procedures to ensure air quality control;
3. Establishing a citizen monitoring system to work closely with Military experts to assure transparency and community confidence;
4. Hosting quarterly meetings to update and inform the public; and
5. Ensuring permanent funds are available for the monitoring program; now, therefore,
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE COUNTY OF HAWAI'I that the U.S. Military will incorporate the five-point plan to address the potential hazards of depleted uranium at the Pōhakuloa Training Area.
BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that the County Clerk shall forward a copy of this resolution to Colonel Howard Killian, Deputy Region Director, Army Installation Management Command-Pacific; all members of the Hawai'i State Legislature; Senator Daniel K. Inouye; Senator Daniel K. Akaka; Congressman Neil Abercrombie, and Congresswoman Mazie K. Hirono.
Dated at_________________, Hawai'i, this________day of______________2008.