Dec. 7, 2007 Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet (PA)
Pearl Harbor Day 2007:Is the U.S. training for a sneak-attack on Iran?
Today, December 7th is Pearl Harbor Day. As we remember this "Day of Infamy" and reflect on the horrors of war let us ponder the following. An Associated Press story of Nov. 22, 2007 reported that B-2 stealth bombers from Guam are using Hawaii for target practice. Specifically, its been learned that B-2s bombed the Pohakuloa Training Area (PTA) in the heart of Hawaii Island in September, October and Novemeber and plan to continue to do so on a monthly basis. Hawaii County Mayor, Harry Kim, was unaware of the B-2 bombings but felt officials and the public need to be informed when such activities are taking place. The news reports said the B-2s dropped 2000 lb inert (dummy) bombs at PTA. A check on the internet confirms that 2000 lb bombs carried by the B-2s can be both conventional and nuclear weapon "bunker busters" to destroy hardened underground facilities. Given the increasing threats by the Bush administration against Iran, we need to ask -- are the B-2s bombing Hawaii training for a possible sneak-attack on Iran?
The U.S. Army confirmed on August 20, 2007 that PTA is contaminated with radiation from weapons training. The confirmation of Depleted uranium (DU) came after years of the military denying its presence. Radiation contamination has also been confirmed at Schofield Barracks on Oahu, and other military firing ranges in Hawaii may be contaminated as well. Citizen groups exposed the contamination on Oahu and people on Hawaii Island began doing their own radiation monitoring recording levels 3-4 times background and kept the pressure on the military. The full extent of military radiation contamination is unknown due to the extensive size of firing ranges in Hawaii, poor record keeping by the military, and incomplete testing to date. A major question is whether continued training at confirmed military radiaiton contaminated sites endangers troops, visitors and residents of Hawaii and risks spreading the contamination? Despite military efforts to downplay the hazards of DU, more and more evidence is suggesting that airborne DU particles are particularly hazardous if inhaled.
In light of the above, Malu `Aina calls for the following:
1. An immediate halt to all military training (live or inert fire and all other activities that create dust) that could spread radiation and other toxic contamination on Hawaii ranges. This moratorium should be kept in place until there is a complete independent assessment and clean up of the contamination.
2. The immediate establishment of independent, high tech monitors (at military expenses) around all range impact areas where real-time data is available to the public on-line 24/7.
3. Testing (at military expense) for DU exposure of military personnel and members of the civilian community who believe they may have been exposed to DU. (The U.S. is spending $2 billion a day on the military. There should be funds available to see if troops and civilians are being contaminated by their own radioactive weapons.)
4. An immediate end to any military training in Hawaii related to a U.S. attack on Iran. We will not stand for the Bush administration waging another illegal and immoral imperial war of aggression. We want Hawaii to be a becon of justice, peace, independence and aloha.
Is Radiation Blowing in the wind?
1. Mourn all victims of violence. 2. Reject war as a solution. 3. Defend civil liberties.
4. Oppose all discrimination: anti-Islamic, anti-Semitic, etc. 5. Seek peace through justice in Hawai`i and around the world.
Contact: Malu `AinaCenter for Non-violent Education & Action P.O. Box AB Ola`a (Kurtistown), Hawai`i 96760. Phone (808) 966-7622 Email firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.malu-aina.org
Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet (Dec. 7, 2007 - 325th week) - Friday 3:30-5PM downtown Post Office