Nov. 2, 2007 Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet

FROM TEARS TO RESISTANCE!

     I wish people would stop breaking into tears when they talk to me these days.

 

     I am traveling across the country speaking to groups of Americans from all walks of life about the assault on liberty and the 10 steps now underway in America to a violently closed society.

 

     The good news is that Americans are already awake…   But I can't stand the stories I am hearing…   a mother of two small children… said to me: I want to take action but I am so scared. I look at my kids and I am scared. How do you deal with fear?  I don't want to get on a list. A civil servant, a government department head, confides in a lowered voice that he is scared to sign the new ID requirement for all government employees, which exposes all his most personal information to the State, but he is scared not to sign it: If I don't, I lose my job, my house. It's like the German National ID card, he said quietly. This morning I talked for almost an hour to a brave, much-decorated high-level military man who is not only on the watch list for his criticism of the administration; his family is now on the list…

 

     Jim Spencer, a former columnist for the Denver Post who has been critical of the Bush administration, told me today that I could use his name: he is on the watch list. An attorney contacts me to say that she told her colleagues at the Justice Department not to torture a detainee; she says she then faced a criminal investigation, a professional referral, saw her emails deleted and now she is on the watch list. I was told last night that a leader of Code Pink, the anti-war women's action group, was refused entry to Canada. I hear from a tech guy who works for the airlines that once you are on the list you never get off…

 

     It is clear from this inundation of personal stories of abuse and retribution against ordinary Americans that a network of criminal behavior and intention is catching up more and more mainstream citizens in its grasp. It is clear that this is not democracy as usual or even the corruption of democracy as usual. It is clear that we will need more drastic action than emails to Congress…

 

       This is an open invitation to join this movement to restore the rule of law and confront this horror…  This movement must transcend partisan lines. The power of individual conscience is profound when people start to wake up.

 

     In Germany, according to historian Richard Evans, in 1931-1932, if enough Germans of conscience had begun to say No, history would have had an entirely different outcome…

The time for weeping has to stop; the time for confronting must begin.

 

Naomi Wolf's books include The Beauty Myth and Fire With Fire: The New Female Power and How It Will Change The 21st Century. See http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/12/4502/ 

 

Ku`e!       Resist!

Join the "March For Humanity" in Hilo Sat. Nov. 3rd

8AM- 2PM Borders Parking Lot to Bayfront Rally Everyone Invited-Free Food & Music

 

1.Mourn all victims of violence. 2. Reject war as a solution. 3. Defend civil liberties. 4. Oppose all discrimination: anti-Islamic, anti-Semitic, etc. 5. Seek peace through justice in Hawai`i and around the world.

Contact: Malu `Aina Center For Non-violent Education & Action P.O. Box AB Ola`a (Kurtistown),

Hawai`i  96760.  Phone (808) 966-7622. Email ja@interpac.net    http://www.malu-aina.org
Hilo Peace Vigil Leaflet (Nov. 2, 2007 -320th week) - Friday 3:30-5PM downtown Post Office

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home